Thursday, February 21, 2013

What to Say, what to say...

I'm finding myself coming to the keyboard today not really knowing what to say.  But then, don't we sometimes come to God that way?  Sometimes, the point is not coming to God knowing what to say, but just coming to God.  On the occasions where my wife and I have moments alone, we sometimes don't have a lot to say, but the point isn't to talk, but to be together. 

God calls us to the same thing.  The psalmist wrote "be still and know that I am God."  Stillness isn't easy for us.  There always seems to be something going on.  Even in the quiet, it's easy to fill that time with reading, thinking about the schedule for the coming days, listening to music.  You might say, "bout those things are being still."  Well, that's not what the psalm says. 

Have you ever allowed yourself to be completely still and simply take in the wonder that is God?  The amount of time I have spent in complete stillness in my 35 years would probably total less than one hour.  Less than one hour to ponder on knowing that He is God!  Of course I've filled much more time than that in prayer, Bible reading, reading of Christian books, etc., but to just be still and know seems to be among the most difficult of spiritual disciplines.

In writing this, I'm finding that I need to challenge myself.  Perhaps you are thinking the same thing.  To be still and know God.  Not to read, talk, fill the air with any sounds, but to be truly still.  It seems to me that in that kind of stillness is when we'd most be able to hear.  So often, the Lord does not speak in the hurricaine, the thunder, or the fire, but in the still small voice, but we are so occupied expecting the burning bush that we fail to hear it.

Be still.  Be in His presence.  Listen.  Be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment