Thursday, February 14, 2013

Give up, Take up

As I'm sure most of you know, it is customary to give something up for Lent.  I have to admit that I haven't done this in years.  Not because I don't think it's a good idea; Lent has just always snuck up on me and I haven't been able to come up with anything to give up.  Usually I hear things like "I'm giving up sweets" or "I'm giving up reality TV."  There is nothing wrong with that, of course, in fact those are pretty noble things to give up. 

As I got to thinking about lent and what I might give up (besides my job, but that was just a coincidence that I gave it up for Lent), I started to think about deeper things.  But instead of things to give up, I started to think about things to take up as well as give up.  Perhaps I can give up judgement and take up grace; give up conflict and take up peace; give up my comfort and take up service. 

Isn't this what Jesus called us to in every season?  In Luke 9:23 He says, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me."  The meaning of this verse gets mangled in our modern society.  We use the analogy to say that some ongoing sin is "my cross to bear."  This is not at all what Jesus is saying. 

He is saying that if we want to be his disciples we must be willing to take up a burden.  To be passionate about the things that He is passionate about.  To love and care for the poor, to give grace to the humble and compassion to all, to decrease that He may increase.  He is asking us to be willing to take on suffering.  To be willing to have our hearts broken by the brokenness of the world.  He is asking us to be willing to give up our very life.

And, like a true leader, He is not asking us to do anything that He wasn't willing to do Himself.  Our crosses are figurative, His was literal.  But the wonder of it all is that His compassion is so great that He gives us the better deal.  He carried His cross alone:  He carries ours with us.  He was despised and rejected:  He has given us a community (the Church) to help us bear each others burdens.  His burden bore down on Him:  He has given us a yoke that is "easy" and a burden that is "light." 

So, what will you take up for Lent?  If you're comfortable with sharing, let me know so I can pray for you and help bear the burden.    

1 comment:

  1. I really like this viewpoint. Because to really truly give up something, we have to take up something else to put in it's place. So while the examples of 'giving up reality TV' do seem trivial, if that time and energy is then taken up in self improvement, prayer, or service, then we have given up by taking up.

    I don't know what I should give up and take up. I will have to think and pray on this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete